SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #70 of Old 04-14-2019
mbianka

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Here's something I never understood: I understand that Lithium batteries make sense for cars etc because of the weight and energy density.

But for sailboats? We CRAVE weight, the keel of my boat is a blob of lead that is literally heavier than the rest of the boat.

Why don't we build a keel out of the cheapest, heaviest lead acid batteries and all go electric? Yes we need to make sure it does not flood but we are pretty good at making things waterproof (like boat hulls).

Maybe this is a topic for a separate thread?
If one were designing a boat from the ground up that would make sense. In my boats case I was getting rid of a 424 pound Westerbeke diesel plus another thirty gallons of fuel and an engine battery. It made sense for me to put the electric propulsion battery bank on a platform in the area where the engine use to rest. Even so I still cut 100 pounds of weight off the boat with the install.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome