SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #130 of Old 04-14-2019
TakeFive

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

My year did not get off to a good start. Today I hit what was apparently a submerged railroad tie (based on the 8'x8' square deadhead that I saw bobbing astern of my boat). I suspect it destroyed my newly refurbished prop (zero thrust when I put it back in gear), and may have damaged my shaft and/or strut (vibrations, and does not spin freely in neutral). I was towed to Delaware City Marina to await haulout for inspection, survey, and repairs.

@chef2sail , I know you've spoken highly of surveyor Steve Mason. I actually tried to hire him for pre-purchase survey when I bought this boat, but he only does insurance surveys. He has been assigned to my case, so I'll finally get to use him - but not under the circumstances I would have chosen.

Oh, by the way, this is one thing that Petit Barnacle Barrier does not protect against. Maybe Rustoleum would have done better. lol

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Pendragon35 (04-19-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome