SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #85 of Old 04-15-2019
colemj

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Really? Wouldn't a heavier keel improve pretty much every monohull's performance? Am I the only one who likes better sailing quality?
Not everyone has a monohull, and most monohulls are designed to have their keel weight and depth work with all other design elements of the boat. So I doubt a heavier keel would improve performance, and would likely decrease it.

For a given design keel weight, it makes performance sense to put the weight as low as possible, on as high an aspect foil as possible. However, I don't think it would be practical to have batteries in a bulb on the end of a high-aspect foil.

I don't even thing it is practical to use lead batteries as primary ballast on a full-keel boat. What do you do when you need to replace them - tip over? And they would be experiencing a lot of tipping and forces when heeled - more so then if they were in the center of gravity.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome