SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #92 of Old 04-15-2019
colemj

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

A 360Ah CALB LFP bank (actual capacity at least 400Ah) for $1840: electriccarpartscompany.com

I won't even try to find a less expensive BMS, at the same place you will find the Orion BMS for $480. This is a well-regarded one, but there are definitely less expensive just as good ones. Why you discount anything Chinese made is beyond me.

So, a LFP bank total cost $2278

The equivalent capacity in LA is 660Ah. Six Lifeline AGM 220Ah 6V batteries cost $2460 - you can find them on Amazon, and many, many other places for about the same price.

Right there, an LFP bank is cheaper than a lead bank, but let's make the cost equal because there will still be some small bits and bobs to connecting up the LFP bank - and I am ignoring that those are mostly the same things needed to connect up a LA bank.

You can go with Sam's Club flooded GC batteries. Those will cost you $600 for an equivalent capacity. But I think that is really comparing apples and oranges - or simply picking and choosing to make a point.

Even if you do go with cheap flooded batteries, the cost differential is less than 4x - not 7x.

And if you choose Trojan T105's like registered's example, you will pay $1000, which turns out to be very close to 1/2 the cost of an LFP bank - like he said it was.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

Last edited by colemj; 04-15-2019 at 01:14 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome