SailNet Community - View Single Post - Upgrade after 1/2 season?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter
Swdge

Upgrade after 1/2 season?

Hi everyone. I need some input from some more seasoned sailors. I purchased an Irwin Citation 34 about the middle of last season. We used it quite a few times and had a great time. Anyway, it is a good boat, but leaves a bit to be desired. This spring while she was on the hard and I was cleaning her up for the season I spoke to a guy who is trying to unload his boat, a Pearson 365 as he is getting older and can't afford to keep up with his current boat. He bought the boat last year after it sunk as a salvage. They guy who owned it before him apparently was very particular about his boat and it was in really good shape. The boat was only totaled due to the obvious engine issues. I've toured the boat and it is in better shape than mine with no evidence of water damage. All the major issues I've read about have been addressed.

The current owner has rebuilt the engine, all that is left to do is finish the top end/head assembly. What he is asking for the boat is a really, REALLY good price, even if I had to rebuild the engine from the ground up again. My problem is if I go for this, I'd have to sell my boat, which I already paid the slip fee for. I'd have to pay to store two boats until I get one sold and I'd have to either finish up the engine myself or pay someone to do it.

Any advice? I'm here and I own a boat so I'm obviously used to the money faucet turned on at all times, but I don't want waste money either.

What would you do in my situation? Thanks in advance.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome