SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #96 of Old 04-15-2019
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
And that's probably the most realistic attitude!

There are some on these threads who have the budget and inclination to install the best of everything on their boats. Then there was one guy I remember who commented that he goes to Walmart and buys a big cheap starter battery (not deep discharge), uses it for a year or so until it is dead, then buys a new one.

Now that is being practical

I suppose the only thing more "simplistic" than that is buying oil lamps and being old school. However, oil lamps are much more harmful to the environment that a tiny solar panel, small motorcycle battery and a bunch of LEDs (IMO).
None of us likes to throw money away for just the sake of it. Cavelierly saying it's simple begs whether you chose to take a simpleton approach.

Since my AGM historically have lasted 10+ years their cost the ffectiveness equals 3 replacementnts of wet cells. Not to mention the time and aggrevation of replacing batteries 3 times intear of one and the costs associated. AGM take charge more quickly than wet. AGM don't loose their charge over winter like a wet would. Never require constant filling with DISTILLED water ( hidden expense and again time and effort) AGM you don't sorry about battery acid leaking. AGM can be laid on their sides to mximize battery cabinet space.

AGM have downsides also.....but are wet cells simpler....not hardly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome