SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dingy Ride to Hell
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 04-16-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Dingy Ride to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
.....and to not be complacent when carrying a proper light on the dingy is something we should all remember.
As I recall, she indicated she had no light, not even a spot light. When conditions are right, I advocate that you see better, without the influence of surrounding lights. Your night vision is better.

Taking nothing away from the pure tragedy, there does leave something to wonder about the rendition. She does admit to not remembering most of it, so that could simply account for the anomalies.

If they had no lights of their own to disturb their night vision, it's hard to think how they would not have seen, nor heard, the powerboat, which is what I recall her saying. She indicated she heard a water noise, turned around and the boat was on her, but that's not like any powerboat I've ever heard.

If it was an overcast moonless night, that would be blind, but that's pretty uncommon in the Caribbean and all the more unlikely they would have ventured without a spot light. Even on a starlit moonless night, one can see usually see around an anchorage well enough to identify a moving boat.

She clearly had the tone of realizing some personal culpability, but I doubt we've been told what that really is. I just hope she heals up and gets back to her thing soon. It's pretty cool to see that she just learned to sail fairly recently and she's bouncing all over the Caribbean. Obviously, her mechanical aptitude is pretty high, as was her aptitude for learning to sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome