SailNet Community - View Single Post - folding mast steps
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
kbbarton

Re: folding mast steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
This is what the ends of the ratline steps look like.

I measured the spacing between the shrouds for the top and bottom steps. I divided the space between them for the other steps, then figured their length by proportion. The steps are 1" tubing and the ears on each end of the tubing are 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 0.090 rounded on one end with two drilled holes. The walls of the long bottom step are thicker than the others as it was a little too bouncy when thin. Cable clamps hold them to the shrouds. I had some trouble finding clamps for my 9/32" (7mm) standing rigging, but when I found them, I bought a box. A cap nut covers the exposed threads and serves as a locking nut. I made up the parts and had the welding done by another person.

There is a teak step bolted to the fourth step down to make it comfortable for me to stand there for a while with a radio and compass to con my wife below on the tiller through coral.

I actually think my method is too complicated. Were I to do it again, I'd just heat up the ends of the tubing with a torch, smash them in a smooth jaw vise, round the ends, and drill the holes. It would be a lot simplier.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Bill, what is the vertical spacing between the rungs - 18" or so?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome