SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #104 of Old 04-16-2019
hpeer

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

When we bought the boat ONE of the minor things the surveyor missed was the batteries were stuck in the bilge, not in a box, not secured in any way, and not even flat.

The bilge wasn’t working so I made a box under the nav table seat. It takes the 4 GC2 batteries arranged with one long and one short dimension on a side. It is not “tight” and there is a bit of a hole in the middle but it is a very compact arrangement. It’s a bit hard to describe the arrangement, but they do not lay side by side, or end to end. It’s not ideal, but it’s what I have.

My “charging arrangement” is two solar panels each with an MPPT controller, both panels charge the bank, a wind generator through charges the bank and has a divert load, the engine which goes through a charge isolator so it charges both the house and start batteries, and a Honda generator with a very old school heavy 12VDC charger, it puts out 50 amps and will get the batteries to about 15.5 V. The charger is not hooked up. When I want to use it, very infrequently, I clamp it onto the batteries and plug it into the generator. If it dies I’m out $150 (it’s not “Marine”, it’s not “smart”).

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome