SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #105 of Old 04-16-2019
colemj

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Distilled water is not trivial outside the US. It is not only very difficult to find, it is also very expensive when you can find it. The most common form is sold in quarts at automotive and marine specialty stores as "battery water". This is yellow in color, and I can only guess it is distilled water, although it says it is "filtered for purity using state of the art equipment". Frankly, I think our watermaker probably makes this stuff in a non-yellow form.

https://www.islandwaterworld.com/bat...d-prix-mi80002

Note that that is a very good price for this. I've paid $5-6 per quart in Panama and Guatemala.

While I loved our FLA banks, and think they are the best bang for the money, and that maintaining them is over-emphasized, I did find them to be a pain outside the USA. I would stock 5 gallons of distilled water when I could find it. That was 50lbs and filled the same space as the batteries themselves.

If you have new FLA's, then you won't be needing much water. As they age, they become quite thirsty. Owning older FLA's in Panama becomes a challenge at time for the silly fact of water...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome