SailNet Community - View Single Post - Working with sellers who refuse a pending survey contract
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 04-18-2019 Thread Starter
ApparitionS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionS View Post
I’m pretty sure the “owners” dead or about to be. I think it’s being handled by the family. Like I said, details are kind of murky but I think it’s an estate type sale. I hadn’t considered title issues as I haven’t bought anything from an estate but that was some solid information as well. Regardless it didn’t seem to me, based on me being a 3rd party getting second hand info, that the seller, whoever they are, was interested in any type of survey by a pro. That’s why I thought it was strange and posted in the first place. I’ve never heard of that and thought it was pretty standard fare to do in this price range. Investing 25k is significant for regular people I would think and surveys, if anything, give the buyer a warm and fuzzy (or not) that they’re not buying a disaster. I’ve bought boats with no survey but I can usually spot the “hahaha you’ve got to be kidding” kind of issues that cost big $$ to repair. The friend who called me, well, it’s his first boat......I had given him advice on the “right way” to buy an old boat, which is pretty in line with everything everyone else has said. When he called me and said the seller wouldn’t do any kind of contract pending a survey, I was baffled.

Anyway, I asked that he hold off on anything and I’m going down either next weekend or the next. Sometimes things that happen in this world absolutely amaze me...I’m told but those older and wiser that it keeps getting better too lol.
I have seen this before. the seller of an estate does know how it works with boats and is threatened when they hear the word surveyor. I was involved with a seller like that and he just needed to be educated in the ways of buying a boat. he said now he understood why other buyers never can back to buy. they start out with the hard core want it or don't you and a year latter are begging someone to buy it.
That’s kind of what I’m starting to think. I don’t think the family or lawyers; whoever he’s talking to, either understand the process or perhaps don’t want to at this point. That’s reaffirms my original question, which was basically opinions on how to handle a situation like this. I think I got my answers and I appreciate that. Sometimes I find myself involved in these “sticky” situations and it was nice to get some opinions on it.

It’s becoming clear that there’s two valid sides to this- one being the “family” who wants out and has emotion involved. Then there’s my friend who wants the standard “protections” available as a buyer. Interesting how some of this stuff plays out. Personally I don’t think I’d mess with an estate boat but he apparently really likes it. Anyway I’ll look in on this thread but I think I got some advice that I’ll look into further. I’ve got a an attorney down in Georgia I’ve had some beers with so perhaps I’ll give him a call as well; for both estate advice and possibly a referral to the buyer.

Anyway thanks for all the replies.
ApparitionS is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome