SailNet Community - View Single Post - Working with sellers who refuse a pending survey contract
View Single Post
post #36 of Old 04-18-2019
VIEXILE

Re: Working with sellers who refuse a pending survey contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think too many buyers price shop the survey and expect to have some “price per foot”. It’s totally unrealistic, as boats become more complex.

When I bought my current boat, I had a quote from a single guy that said he could do it in 6 hours. I had another quote from a guy that said it was either one guy for two days or two guys for one day. I took the more thorough option. Yes, I recall finding a single mistake, but not death defying and can’t even recall what it was now. The survey has been a good reference tool for me, to this day.

From memory, the survey identified a dead battery bank for the winches, a stern light hidden by the dinghy and a couple of others that weren’t noticed by either the seller or me. He cleaned them all up and I paid my offer. It’s been ten years and he and I remain in touch to this day.
Right. But there is kinda a difference between a 54DS and a $25K plastic GOB. I'd only buy a DS like that without a survey if I could absolutely steal it, and I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb and I'd be all over what's his name at East Coast Yacht Sales or whatever it is in R.I. (the Jeanneau dealer guy). There's boats out there circumnavigating that were purchased for less than $10K (with, of course, the obligatory pricey upgrades after the fact).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome