SailNet Community - View Single Post - Working with sellers who refuse a pending survey contract
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 04-19-2019 Thread Starter
ApparitionS

I’ve always found this to be a good reference. Not cheap but I’ve collected a few over the years. After you restore a couple GOB’s, certain things catch your eye and you “just know that ain’t right”.. I may be mistaken, but I think these are the standards surveyors go by too. Off topic but if you’re installing something or fixing something on your boat, it pays to do it right and to standard. Much of what’s written has been learned over time through experiences of others. Kind of like when the 70 year old sailor who’s been hung over longer than you’ve been alive tells you to do something...you listen.

https://abycinc.org/page/StandardsSupp58

Anyway, update, as someone warned there turned out to be some legal issues with title. Friend backed off and i don’t get to go to SC where it’s warm......

Interesting discussion though. I’ve only dealt with insurance surveys recently and they were what’s expected, minimal. The last time I utilized a proper “should I buy this” surveyor was probably decades ago. Remember him well, big ass cigar and looked like he was left in the sun for a few centuries. Walking encyclopedia though, especially with wooden boats. Learned a lot from that guy before he passed away.

As someone mentioned above, guys like that are becoming a rare breed indeed.

What are surveyors charging nowadays anyway?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome