SailNet Community - View Single Post - Me & My Collection of Project Boats
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 04-21-2019
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Me & My Collection of Project Boats

Welcome to SailNet. I too am a fix up rather than through away type myself. There's nothing wrong with that if you are not afraid of a little (or a lot) of hard work.

when people ask me about getting free or nearly free boats to fix up, I generally advise them to pick boats which were of a good design, that sails well, and began life pretty well built. That way they will end up with a good boat when they are done pouring good money and a non-returnable portion of their lives into it.

Looking at your fleet, you have collected a couple good candidates for fix up, and one that is not so much.

The O'Day was a centerboard-overnighter version of the Rhodes 19. These were really nice boats to sail in their day, and would be a great choice to learn how to sail on. The Force 5 would also be a good boat to improve skills aboard once you master basic sailing skills on the O'Day. Unfortunately, the Tylercraft is a pretty mediocre sailor and you can easily end up with way too much money and time in a boat that is hard to sell, and not particularly appealing to sail.

In general, Bilge keel boats do not sail all that well, so you might want to avoid adding them to your fleet.

I too personally prefer working with epoxy for structural repairs, but polyester and vinylester work well for minor repairs and are less expensive.

I saw that you mentioned Rust-Oleum. Rust-Oleum makes a very affordable and easy to use Marine paint that has gotten good reviews from folks who have used it. I assume that is what you are referring to since regular Rust-Oleum doesn't adhere to fiberglass very well or hold up well in the hard knocks world of a trailerable sailboat.

Good luck with the fleet.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome