SailNet Community - View Single Post - Summer Mooring Blues
View Single Post
post #37 of Old 04-22-2019
chicory83

Re: Summer Mooring Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The eastern end of Long Island Sound (Fishers Island Sound) isn’t so bad and neither is the rest of the coastal SE New England area. You can actually swim in this area for an order of magnitude longer than in Maine without suffering hypothermia. A MOB actually has a chance of being rescued alive if not in a wet suit.

You can actually cruise to areas with sandy beaches, like Long Island, Napatree Point, Block Island, Third Beach, Cape Cod and “the islands”(Cutthyhunk, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket). And you won’t be lonely in any of the harbors in this venue.

P.S. You can actually enjoy the scenery instead of concentrating on dodging lobster gear. (Well, maybe there is the occasional fishing trawler or barge under tow.)
Thanks, I grew up in NYC and sailed LIS with my dad out of Branford CT for many, many years. We sailed from Branford to MDI, Halifax NS. and Bermuda, so I have been to Fisher's Island, Block Island, Shelter Island, Gardner's island, Cuttyhunk, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Provincetown, Montauk even up the CT river etc. multiple times. I then spent 20 years exploring the coast of Maine in my own boats. My comparison is not based on ignorance of LIS.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome