Thread: Babies on Board
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 04-22-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Babies on Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Having done the baby thing twice (though on land) it doesn't seem like that big a deal having a infant/baby on a boat. Perhaps outside some emergencies. The real problem starts around 1 year old, to perhaps 3-4! A toddler than can crawl, then run, jump, climb. And is incredibly stubborn and challenging limits/parents at every turn, for inexplicable reasons (my daughter love cookies, but say no to them if offered, because default is always "no!"). I know people have, but I would not want to do that. And as with everything one was easy, 2nd exponentially worse..
Here I have to disagree with you.
We took a three day old aboard and she grew up doing a circumnavigation under sail and a couple of TransAts and some really interesting side trips up the Orinoco and Amazon rives as well.
She grew up to be a pretty cool person.
Whereas you have everything from "stranger danger' to terrorists, crazies and vehicular traffic, (to mention just a few of the dangers your children face every day) to shield your child from, we had only ONE!
STAY ON BOARD. Nothing else. No colds or flue from the other kids in school, no broken bones or psyche over sports, etc.
It may actually be a very safe and healthy way to raise a child if you consider how nuts it is to live in society, such as it is, these days.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome