SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tether overload protection
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 04-24-2019
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Tether overload protection

As Mark said, assuming that your sailing course is not actually going offshore, the tether that you bought is probably fine for a sailing course. I would suggest that you get tether that is new and in good condition if you plan to single-hand or go off-shore. I don't know where the $200.oo price came from. That seems to be very high. As other have said, tethers should be closer to $110 to $120. Even West Marine has a double teather for $129.00.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...4aAqF-EALw_wcB

While I am not a big fan of the concept of making my own tether, structural tube webbing is available from climbing supply places pretty inexpensively and its easy enough to install the shock chord retractors inside the webbing. I agree that it does not seem likely that a private individual can properly stitch the webbing to achieve the required strength.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-24-2019 at 12:38 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome