SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Step leak PSC 34
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 04-27-2019
DaveMancini

Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Joost,

I don't think the pipe passes all the way through the deck, but I do think it varies depending on the year of the boat. For instance, none of the pictures in this thread look exactly like our mast step. Our wire bundle went through a heavy wire reinforced hose, like exhaust hose, that stood proud of the floor of the step by about two inches. It fit through a short metal standpipe on the mast step that only stood about an inch above the floor of the step, not like the tall metal downpipes shown in the pictures above. The hose went very tightly through the standpipe, and the wire bundle forced it against the flange even tighter. The hole in the deck was sealed with what looked like epoxy or polyester to protect the core but I actually don't think the plywood core extended into the built-up area under the step where the hole was, but I could be wrong.

That is strange that water is getting below from outside the step area. I haven't heard of that in these boats so far. I hope all is revealed when your mast is pulled and you can get it fixed easily.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMancini For This Useful Post:
jvlassak (04-30-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome