SailNet Community - View Single Post - Female ASA Instructors?
View Single Post
post #45 of Old 04-30-2019
Scandium

Re: Female ASA Instructors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
. they will only experience sexism from a true dyed in the wool sexist pig. They exist (unfortunately) allover the place.
This is basically what the issue is. For most straight males sexism is just the overt kind and something nasty psychos do (wife beaters and such) not "normal guys" like them (us, since I am one). This ignore the subtle, sometimes subconscious kind that is especially rampant in male-dominated fields. Talking down to women, "mansplaining", addressing the man and ignoring the women in a couple, assuming women are ignorant or uninterested, etc. This of course often ends up being self-fulfilling as the women will not be particularly interested in anything where she is treated this way.. I have thought male-dominated sports myself and had to constantly evaluate my behavior to avoid doing these things, and sometimes I fail as it is so ingrained in our culture. Not to mention that even today girls from a young age are taught to be less assertive, and that technical things are "not for them". Of course I don't assume you'll agree, or even acknowledge any of this but thought it post it for others.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome