SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is tinned boat wire necessary?
View Single Post
post #31 of Old 04-30-2019
pdqaltair

Re: Is tinned boat wire necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
... I suspect anyone using untinned wire in the US, and having problems with it, is using cheaper stuff than THHN.

Mark
That's the thing. The article ONLY referenced THHN, and the title was misleading. I've seen lamp cord and finely stranded non-tinned wire that was chewed up.

By the way, tinned is not perfect. I should have taken pictures. I was working in a refinery a few weeks ago, opened and old instrument (mercury switch) and found the tinned (marine) wire leads had been eaten back 2 inches by fumes that had leaked past a failed seal. The wire and the insulation were not damamged, they were gone. The THHN wire they were attached to with a wire nuts was still fine and I attached new instruments. It seems the fine strands have a lot more surface area and couldn't take it. I have never seen THHN wire fail in that way. And this is why the USCG approves it. But not just any wire.

And as you pointed out, it's not cheaper. You pay for quality.

Just sayin'.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome