SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter
SchockT

Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i

Sailing: First Impressions

Buying a sailboat is always a bit of a leap of faith. You usually don't get much time to sail a boat until you make the purchase. You have to rely on anecdotal information, and a brief pre purchase sea trial. Having done most of my sailing on racier boats I certainly had my concerns that the boat's sailing characteristics would disappoint me. On paper the 39i is a bit under powered compared to more performance oriented boats. On the other hand, those performance boats also need more crew to manage that extra power effectively..

Most of the sailing we have done so far has been in light to moderate breeze and flat water in the protected waters around our home port. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how responsive and lively the boat was in under 10 kts of wind. Sailing upwind in 12kts apparent had us doing over 6.5kts, which I think is respectable, particularly considering we are dragging a 3 blade fixed prop around. Crack off onto a reach and the boat hit 8kts quite easily, and it all seems so effortless!

A couple of weeks ago we took our first trip into more open water, crossing the Georgia Straight to Gabriola Island. We had 25kts apparent wind, 4-5ft seas, and our destination was upwind. We were a bit over powered, heeling too much and doing 6.5kts. I put a single reef in the main, which took less than 5 min without leaving the cockpit thanks to single line reefing and lazy jacks. After that the boat sat up and boatspeed increased into the 7.5kt range. Not great for a 40ft race boat, but pretty decent for a cruising boat! I only wish we could have cracked off onto a reach to see what she could do!

Overall the boat handled everything easily, and was very comfortable. The helm does lack a bit of feel, but then I am used to tiller boats, so to me all wheels lack feel.

In the predominantly light conditions we get around here in the summer I think the boat will benefit from more horsepower, so I am in the process of fitting her out with a bowsprit, furler, and a masthead hoist Asymetrical spinnaker...stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 05-03-2019 at 05:49 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome