SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dismasted/1964 Challenger
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter
Huffboat
1964 Columbia Challenger

Re: Dismasted/1964 Challenger

Ended up with the slightly larger boom profile as the next size down was smaller than original.

Was able to extract the other chain plate- stbd side was not easy to come out as the opening thru the deck was tight and wet. Bulkhead(s) are okay and deck looks okay. A PO had reworked an FRP beam athwarthships under the mast that is doing well, from initial inspection, but I have yet to yank off the mast step. I am having a new pair of chain plates made from a local water-jet cutter (approx $150).

CF mast goes into fab next week and should be arriving in one long package 4 to 6 weeks, after.

Am thinking about bringing the spreaders/shrouds inboard a bit. Original spars are approx 38 inches long, each, including the mast mounting bracket. As the CF mast will be stiffer and need a bit less "staying" I was thinking about coming inboard maybe 3 to 6 inches each spreader. Thots? New spreaders will be airfoil type and not nearly as substantial as the factory pipes (yeesh, one could fend off Huns with one of these- I kept one to use as a cheater pipe/hammer/lever).

Will post pics, later when pieces start coming to one place.

Thanks, Huff

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome