SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tool to open lifeline gates
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-04-2019 Thread Starter
jwoytek
Always learning...

Tool to open lifeline gates

Hello all. Well, we have launched Pinniped for the first time this week! The previous owner stored and cared for her at his yacht club over the winter, then came out with me to help me get a better feel for slow-speed maneuvering with her, and share some tips and tricks. As we came in to our new slip a couple of doors west of his club, though, it occurred to me that there is only one tool on board for opening the lifeline gates. I figured Id go online and order another to keep on board as a spare.

At this point, you might be thinking... He needs a tool to open the gates?

Apparently, Im unable to come up with the right set of words to help me find this thing. The gates are secured with pelican hook devices with which I am not familiar. Theyd probably open with stout application of a marlinspike or similar thing, but on board there is a nicely machined stainless steel cone tool that fits the release hole perfectly and opens them with a minimum of fuss.

Can anyone help me with the name of this type of hook or if the tool has a special name? Im including a crappy photo of the fittings. When we are next back at the boat, Ill get better photos of the fittings and the existing tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6C8B455E-A2C5-4E59-A4D1-8DD4463C14A4.jpeg (59.3 KB, 24 views)

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome