SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dismasted/1964 Challenger
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 05-04-2019
roverhi

Re: Dismasted/1964 Challenger

Who is making the mast for you?? The mast on my Sabre has some corrosion around the base and a crack so fear it's on borrowed time. Got one preliminary quote for a Carbon stick but it was more than twice what the boat is worth. Another company gave me a quote for the bare pole and some indication of costs to get it finished that were much more affordable but still more than I'd like to spend.

Don't see an advantage in raking the spreaders, Fore and aft mast support is provided by the head and back stay. Raked spreaders, even a little bit, restrict how far you can ease out the boom before the sail hits the wires and spreader. On my boats with right angle spreaders it's been the aft lowers that hit the sail first. Would try and eliminate the aft lowers if you boat has them and leave the spreaders at right angles. You could rake the spreaders far enough to eliminate the backstay but that will really restrict how far you can let the boom out. Not a big thing on a multihull as they sail faster reaching downwind but on a mono will affect DDW performance.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome