SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel lifting pump making noise when first starting engine
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 05-10-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Fuel lifting pump making noise when first starting engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Yes, its a NAPA pump that PO installed between the Racor filter and the injection pump. Any idea what fuel delivery pressure is needed there? I would like to have a backup and guy at NAPA tells me I need to know that. I have read somewhere that it’s about 6 to 8 psi.
It's not about pressure at that point in the system, just GPH. Obviously, your pump must pump enough fuel for the diesel to run.
We on sailboats don't have much problem with even the smallest pumps rated by GPH but imagine a motor vessel using 75 to over 100 GPH per engine. That's when electric fuel pumps start getting expensive.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome