SailNet Community - View Single Post - What gives you a charge?
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-11-2019
bigdogandy

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock
Re: What gives you a charge?

I have 2 Duracell labeled 6V golf cart batteries from Sam's Club powered by a Balmar 70A alt with MC-614 regulator, two 195W solar panels with a Victron MPPT controller, and a 40A Sterling ProCharge shore power charger. 32 ft live aboard boat, with refrigeration, typical nav gear and lights, autopilot, VHF, stereo, etc. and charging for laptop, handheld VHFs and cell phones. All LED cabin lights.

All charge sources go to the house batteries. Echo charger takes care of the start battery.

Cruise periodically, with numerous 3-5 day outings and some 2-3 month trips. Have had the batts 3 years now, and they are still functional. In Bahamas this winter had my altenator fail and went almost 3 months on solar only, with 3 nights in there at a marina and connected to shore power. The batteries took a bit of a beating but have mostly survived. Will replace them next fall befor I head back out, though.

At $90 bucks per battery this is the best value approach for me. It's a physical challenge to replace them, though, so very thankful this only has to happen every 3-4 years.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome