SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Step leak PSC 34
View Single Post
post #30 of Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter
jvlassak

Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

So, I just checked if re-bedding the mast step fixed the problem. The answer is "sort of". Re-bedding the mast step fixed the main leak, there is no more water coming down the compression post, but I noticed that one or two of the bolts holding down the organizer tray are weeping. I think the issue is that the bolt heads are slightly too small for the holes in the stainless and there are two sides of the heads that do not cover the hole, allowing water to penetrate around the bolt.

Question is how to fix this. This is not really an issue of keeping water out of the boat, the amount of water entering is tiny. I am worried about the plywood in the deck that would be exposed to water. I think I can access the nuts of the two aft bolts, but the other two are buried somewhere next to the bulkhead. Any suggestions? The thought occurred to get four little stainless caps slightly larger than the bolt heads and use them to cover the bolt heads with a lot of bedding compound. I think it would fix the leak, but it just doesn't seem right. The right way is to remove the bolts, fill up the holes with thickened epoxy, drill out the holes and re-bed the bolts, but that supposes I can remove them in the first place.

Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome