SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!
View Single Post
post #64 of Old 05-12-2019 Thread Starter
Don L
bell ringer

Re: Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I applied 3 gals of Seahawk CuKote and 1 gal of SeaHawk BioCop to my hull between Feb 8-13, 2019. Now it is only April 21, 2019 and I have barnacles all over the hull! So that's 2 months and 1 week on $980 worth on what is suppose to be their upper end and best bottom paints.

While they have a warranty, it is written so it would never cover a DIYer. So even though I sent them a comment I expect nothing and even if they covered it, it still would be completely unacceptable.

Just thought I would share.
My last word on this:

I scraped off those barnacles and they came back within 2.5 weeks in a different harbor. So now a Hookah is in my future and I'm going to become very familiar with my boat bottom the next 2 years.

I did contact Seahawk at the start of this to let them know. As I expected, without saying it they started right down the wording in their warranty that pretty much excludes any DIY application. So the warranty (below) is meaningless if you are DIY:

"New Nautical Coatings, Inc. warrants the Covered Product to be free of all defects in material and workmanship and to deter hull fouling from hard growth including any and all types of barnacles, corals, oysters, or zebra mussels for a period of one year"

The regional sales guy made words to sound like he wanted me to be a "satisfied Seahawk user" and the lastest word was "If you are willing to pay for a haul out, I will Iíll come look at the boat". But that's crazy to me to throw good money for the hope of, at best, a new application of the paint that's not performing.

To the people who posted they use Seahawk paint and it's working. That's great for you that the paint is doing what it is supposed to do. But that doesn't mean much to us that the paint isn't.

To those that posted they had a problem and Seahawk paid to have their paint repainted. That's not really an acceptable outcome. All that says is that using their paint is a gamble and may work from batch to batch.

To those that posted their Seahawk paint didn't work, I feel your pain and wish when I was deciding to use it and researched the paint a warning thread showed up in my search (here it now is).

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome