SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you expect?
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 05-15-2019
Minnewaska

Re: What do you expect?

I don't think there is a consistent percentage, not to mention it's speed over ground that matters between X and X, so variable current and wave action matter too.

We just installed new Quantum sails and gave them their first test drive in 11 kts of wind. On the beam, we were making 8.5 kts over the water. Genny is a 150. Best money I've spent on the boat in a long time! I expect I'll be re-establishing my reefing speeds.

Your question reminds me of something my (now grown) kids remind me of, all the time. As kids, I would get the typical (how much longer) question repeatedly. My answer was usually, "about 3 hours". An hour later, they'd ask again and my answer would be "about 3 hours". They now say that everything is 3 hours away, don't ask.

While I had likely tacked more than expected, or found current or head waves I didn't expect, they just came to think I had no idea. That was demonstrably true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome