SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not Getting the All-Chain Thing
View Single Post
post #491 of Old 05-16-2019
Cassidy

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes, obviously. If they are using chain, the affect depends on wind strength and water depth (in shallow water, using chain does not actually help, in >20 feet, it helps a lot--it's about the pounds). If they are using rope, it depends on those factors and how much chain leader.

But my point was that this does not happen "when the chain leaves the bottom; there needs to be a >10 degree angle.

Additionally, it depends a GREAT deal on the type of anchor. Fortress, for example, if well set, is affected to a much lesser extent than shown on the graph. Even at VERY short scope (4:1) there is little reduction in holding. Just ask someone who tried to recover one after a 60 kt storm; it's epic.
Wow, talk about a smoke screen. I have read this post over and over and canít see the message. I must be really dumb. If youíre saying that 10:1 scope is less likely to drag than 5:1 then I agree, obviously that is correct. But thatís like saying is a Volvo boat going to get there before my boat? Well, obviously.

Oh, never mind. 😏

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome