SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not Getting the All-Chain Thing
View Single Post
post #494 of Old 05-16-2019
pdqaltair

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Maybe my thinking is skewed - I always use a snubber to damped the noise of the anchor being dragged over the bottom and transmitting the noise up into the boat. For me it’s not about improving the integrity of the rode. My chain is way stronger than the snubber.

This noise transfer would not be evident using dyneema or any other form of rope so why add a snubber?

I just read pdqaltair’s post. Is the fact that light-weight dyneema provides no catenary and also no stretch that caused it to break your load cell? Maybe the springy nylon snubber would improve the quality of the rode in this case. Score a negative for dyneema as ground tackle potential.
A snubber is not just to preserve the ingetrity of the rode or reduce noise. Assuming it is long enough it:
* Reduces the load on the ground tackle by 3-5 times (based on testing by numerous researchers. Rember that the ABYC table is designed to stress the tackle to the WLL in a worst case situation unless a snubber is used.
* Increase anchor holding in worse case. The anchor will only hold peak loads IF the sand is perfect and the boat doe not yaw, if there is catenary in the chain, or if there is some other shoc absorption. Otherwise, dragging is probable.

If you have not seen these extreme loads, it is probably because you have not experienced a worst case (shallow water, steep waves, relatively short scope).

---

And no, I was not suggesting Dyneema rode. That was just for fun. Yes, Dyneema just transfers the impact, like hitting a brick wall. I can see the use for VERY long rodes, like platforms. Ships use it for dock line, BUT they have either hydraulic winches that constantly maintain tension, OR they use nylon snubbers on the ends.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 05-16-2019 at 10:08 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome