SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shore power chargers don't make any sense to me ...
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 05-19-2019
MarkofSeaLife

Dock
Re: Shore power chargers don't make any sense to me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Mark do you have it hardwired and mounted or gator clipped use
It's hard wired.

A few years ago I added a 'jumper' cable from my house bank that comes forward through the engine room and has a few extra feet. It was for an emergency starter battery jumper, or a temporary power supply for anything.

So this (fused) charger connects to that. It's just 'temporary' as it it's used in winter at the dock. Any other time of year Solar panels keep the bank charged.

The shore power just comes in direct through a sheltered hatch, behind the settee cushions to the mast base and splits into 3 power boards: forward cabin (mine), saloon TV, and main saloon heaters, Nav and the charger.

It avoids going through the boats system entirely. One reason is electricity in London US .32 cents per kWh! So I wish to have as little loss as possible.

It might not be as pretty a solution than some boats, but it provides me with a huge number of PowerPoints exactly where I want them.

As the shore power is only 13 amps it's vital to keep an eye on it. The charger at 4 Amps @ 12 volts means I can still run lots of heaters.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 05-19-2019 at 02:52 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome