SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting Deck and Cockpit....DIY or Pay?
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-19-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Painting Deck and Cockpit....DIY or Pay?

If the gelcoat isn't cracking, I would first try a restoration. Wet sanding, with ultra fine grit, followed by a series of progressively stepped down compounding. You could even just try compound right out of the gate to see if it gets results you're happy with.

Painting is an option, but I consider it a last choice. Once painted, always painted. The paint is not as tough as the gelcoat and will scratch, leaving you with needing to repaint down the road. If you change the color, scratch will be all the more noticeable. Then again, you'll have a different base primer color anyway, I suppose.

The only paints I would consider are either Awlgrip or Alexseal, which would benefit from a professional, with a paint gun. Alexseal is more repairable. You could do all the sanding and filling, if you wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome