SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shore power chargers don't make any sense to me ...
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter
BillMoran

Re: Shore power chargers don't make any sense to me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have a Mastervolt 30 amp for our 660 amp house bank. 330 usable Echo charge the blue top spiral starter,.

300 ah seems small for your usage. How much actual ah on the bank of fireflies ?
Well, the FF batteries claim that they can be deeply discharged, so about 240AH useable if I trust their numbers.

Since I'm new at this cruising+livaboard thing I have a lot more math than I do actual experience. When I try calculating what I expect to be a typical day's power usage, I get between 100 and 150AH depending on whether I'm being optimistic or pessimistic. Actual experience with the solar panels has been has been hindered by the fact that I don't trust the current batteries to have enough power to survive the night, so the solar panels are floating all day and thus throttling the wattage. Theoretically, they should generate about 100AH on a day with partial clouds and a few thunderstorms rolling through. I'm actually seeing about 1/2 of that, but again, it's all float charge throttling the amperage. In theory, a perfectly sunny day should crank out at least 150AH.

Am I missing something that I should be assuming my power needs will be significantly greater?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome