SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting Deck and Cockpit....DIY or Pay?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 05-19-2019
rbrasi

Re: Painting Deck and Cockpit....DIY or Pay?

I repainted my entire deck in 2015, 30' boat, similar to yours. I considered the one part-two part issue and settled on one part for ease because I'm an amateur and I just knew I would screw it up. During prep, I sanded so much that I developed tendonitis on my elbow. Also, they say never wet sand, but I did all my work in the mornings and like OC, MdR has marine layer every morning and it's just wet. If I had to do it over again, I would go with two part. I had planned on selling her before the paint faded, but here I am. I don't like the way its held up, and I keep her covered 5 months of the year! Still looks good though. One of the hardest things was cutting the tape for the rounded corners. I became an exacto knife expert! I rolled and tipped. If you do 2-part, practice on your anchor locker or something. Removing deck hardware is straightforward (ie. difficult), but it did allow me time to fully service my winches while I had them off.
For the non-skid I also used KiwiGrip, which I highly recommend. Super easy to apply and you don't have to completely sand down your old non-skid to do it.
I had a yard guy quote me $10,000 for the job. I did it for about ~$800. I'll suffer tendonitis for $9200 any day!

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome