SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help Select a New Electronics Package
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 05-20-2019
colemj

Re: Help Select a New Electronics Package

I think you have unwarrantedly convinced yourself that this will be difficult or complicated. Without doubt, the transducers will need to be replaced with N2K ones, but this is as difficult and complicated as it gets for you. If you weren't currently on Hornets (good god, those are old!), then you might have even been able to use your current transducers with a converter.

Once these are physically replaced, you just create a simple N2K backbone by using a length of cable or a bunch of T-connectors, like I discussed earlier. This part is dead easy - the hardest part will only be connecting a power wire to a suitable breaker/fuse, and that difficulty is determined only by how hard it is to access your panel.

Now, your network is just waiting for any other instruments or transducers to be added. To add something, you just connect a single cable between the network backbone and the instrument/transducer. This can be done in pieces, at any time, and to any extent you like.

Your current autopilot won't integrate with anything anyway, so you don't need to worry about it. As for integration of the rest of the instrumentation - they are all sitting on a shared network and are all inherently integrated. Which parts of that integration you choose to use is entirely up to you - they won't take over, or force themselves together, or form cliques, or anything.

Your dash might not be as difficult as you think. I have a sketchy memory of the Hornets, but think they are ~5" square? If so, the Tritons may fit right in with just a simple modification. Ours fit in our old B&G Network places after I just filed out the cutout a little larger.

Your existing compass can be used with a converter, but you will spend ~$200 on a converter, so you will need to decide the relative value vs. new compass.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome