SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dumb Jib Halyard Question...can it be TOO tight?
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 05-21-2019
SchockT

Re: Dumb Jib Halyard Question...can it be TOO tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Laminate sails do not need as much tension and do not stretch, truth be told they shrink over time. ask any sailmaker what is the bestway to store a laminate sail and they will say to roll it, not flake it. so leaving it rolled on the furler is really easier on the sail then flaking. last boat we flaked all the laminate sails and we had delam after a while from flaking, on the new boat we keep the jib on the furler and not a problem any where on the sail after 4 years. we use a zipper sleeve cover. If the sail can't stretch and the halyard tension required is low then there is no reason to slack the halyard when not in use. laminate sails require you to relearn everything you knew about sails.
There is a big difference between rolling a laminate sail the way the sailmaker envisions it, and wrapping it tightly around the forestay the way a furler does.

I race on a boat owned by a sailmaker. We roll the mainsail before stowing it below, and we flake and brick his headsails.

I doubt you will find many sailmakers that advocate storing a laminate sail on a furler vs removing it and bagging it when not in use.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome