SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Boat Buying Thread
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 05-22-2019
Donna_F
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Another Boat Buying Thread

First, there are plenty of people out there with young kids. One of our moderators lived on and raised his two boys on board until they were teenagers. It wasn't until then that the kids knew what it was to live in their own house. So, that part is not an issue to me.

As a Catalina owner and a Beneteau charterer, I wouldn't be comfortable in either offshore. That's a personal preference. I have friends living aboard a Catalina 445 sailing the Caribbean and they love it but they had it semi-custom built at the factory to go offshore. I love my Catalina 30...in the Chesapeake. As for Beneteau, again, a personal preference. There are too many things we dislike about them to want to compromise.

There are a few blue water boats with deck stepped masts so as long as the boat is built as an offshore boat, don't discount those. Malo (our next boat) and Hallberg-Rassy off the top of my head. Both Swedish manufacturers. Both built to go off shore. There are probably more.

I think your budget is low for the things you ticked off. At that price you're probably looking at a very old boat that will need a lot of rehab which is a lot of time you could be sailing.

In the meantime, have fun learning about boats and use the time to also increase your skill level and the best of luck with your search.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome