SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Boat Buying Thread
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 05-23-2019 Thread Starter
Lanealoha

Re: Another Boat Buying Thread

Thanks for the replies. I could really care less about the separate shower stall, just trying to find the combo between the sail boat that I would like versus the comforts that my wife would like, and what she likes is good for me. As far as living on a boat and moving the family on for extended time, everyone is into it and I'm not worried about them. We are a different bunch then most. We've lived off grid every summer for 9 years until a few years back. Spent months traveling Baja camping and exploring remote places. Have spent weeks climbing in the mountains and traveling through them solo, and guiding people on technical climbs like the North West Face of Half Dome and El Capitan in Yosemite as well as various BIG cliffs around the US and Europe. My wife and kid are of the same ilk.

So its possible I'll have a bigger budget, but I'm starting low and creeping north from there.

Still haven't got any hard info regarding typical starting points for offers when purchasing. I understand that when the right vessel shows itself to me that my offer will be highly dependent upon survey findings, but in general I'm just wondering what most would generalize as an acceptable/ typical starting point. For example is %10 below asking price too much, not enough or about what most sellers are expecting? Thanks everyone for you thoughts.

Does it make more sense to up the boat kitty with the thought that in the beginning I will put less into it if it is newer, has been recently up-graded etc. Or go the other way, cheaper with good bones and have more to put into it. Like Donna said, I don't want to waste time re-habing when I could be cruising. Thanks Capt. for reminding me of ventilation issues, stowage and that a second cabin in the tropics is way better than a 1/4 berth. These are the small tidbits I'm interested in. Thank you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome