SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #189 of Old 05-23-2019
PatMc57

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

After 5 months of work, our 1st boat...Keiko..a Dufour 31...is ready to pull out of the slip. We are stoked to get out of Castle Harbor Marina for an overnight this weekend. Here's the kicker...We plan to go to the Magothy...where I first proposed to her 14 years ago on a Beneteau 33ish charter. It was her first sail. I booked it in July out of Swan Creek with Haven Charters, my Go To Company for these waters, figuring that it would be a slow sweat-fest of a sail. However....we had 20-30 knts and 4-6 swells with lightning that night.. She was at the helm while I tried to hoist the main...I had failed to secure the halyard to the main ahead of time...her first time on the water...She was a Natural..and despite losing the main halyard once...and climbing on the swinging boom to prevent it from slinking up the mast...we prevailed. On another note, ask me some time about how we retrieved a main halyard that had run up to the top of the mas using the spinnaker halyard with a coat hangar attached to it, with a retrieving /maneuvering line attached to the hangar, and a third Crew with binoculars guiding it all to retrieve the mast head terminated main halyard. Yeah..was pretty proud of that one..now I bring my rock climbing gear and harness. About what my Fiance saw... It was pure terror that I never showed.."Oh yeah, this is sort of normal"...yike..after 3 Caribbean charters, she now knows better.
Anyway, when we got the call today from our mechanic..it was both exhilarating and terrifying..and..really, isn't that was sailing is?
HA!!!
Patrick

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome