SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tow question in Newport, RI
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 05-31-2019
SanderO

Re: Tow question in Newport, RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Transient moorings in Newport are usually $1/ft/night. It's not a bad idea. However, for any length of time, Zanshin would need to create power to charge batteries. Not clear if her genset is running or whether the OP will be aboard. If she's going to be left alone for weeks or more, a slip is easier to manage and now batteries are topped up. Transient slips are expensive here, however.

As a general rule, slip pricing gets higher, the closer to open water you get. Or anywhere in Newport.

I would expect the Hinckley Yacht Services yard to be about half what the OP said he was quoted at the Newport Shipyard (which did sound a bit high for his boat, even there). For a 57 ft boat, I would have guessed the Shipyard to be about $350/night and Hinckley to be about $250/night.

When you are having service done, tie ups are very variable. Depending on the amount of work being done, the tie up can even be included. Probably not, if the whole list is the injector pump.

Curious if the mast came along or was trashed and needs to be replaced (I only read she has no mast presently). If it's lying on the deck, that's may be what's creating extra LOA and increasing slip cost, but I'd have it picked off and stored ashore, until the yard was ready to step it. No doubt, the reconstruction is complicated and heartbreaking.
To give advice one needs to have facts such as the scope of work... engine... rig stepping and tuning? Are there alt sources to top of batteries? Where exactly is the boat now?

Mechanics don't like to work on a mooring because they have to drag all their tools along and that can be a royal PITA. They won't use your tools typically.

I've had a starter motor replaced by Oldport and paid for their mooring... left the boat on the mooring for a week returned by public transport to NY and back again. The rates were similar to what Minni wrote. Once the motor is working and if the rig is un deck you can motor to a number of near by boat yards to have the rig stepped.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome