SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tow question in Newport, RI
View Single Post
post #28 of Old 05-31-2019 Thread Starter
Zanshin

Re: Tow question in Newport, RI

Thanks for all the post, but we have digressed more than a bit from the original question.

As to the scope of the damage questions - the 10KW genset is working, as is everything else still on board apart from the main propulsion. The mast is not on board, Irma took it with her.

The only Mercruiser shop in the area cannot accomodate my draft, but will travel a limited distance. I still haven't gotten a confirmation from any of the marinas I've contacted regarding a week's worth of dockage; but the original question still remains open: If I cannot get the marina's resources to tow me what are my options? I cannot sign up with the tow organizations as my engine is currently inoperative, once the engine is fixed then I can sign up for future tows.

So far I have only gotten one offer for $400 per hour, the watch starts ticking when they turn on their engine and stops when they return to their dock. A minimum of 3 hours. This is, IMHO, somewhat too high for a non-salvage, non-emergency standard tow on a boat with a functioning rudder.

Although the idea of renting a powerboat and using that is tempting, I won't misuse a rental boat or contract like that, so that option is out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome