SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a small cruiser!
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 06-07-2019
SchockT

Re: Buying a small cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterennis View Post
My wife and I have decided to buy small cruiser for the upper Chesapeake. She likes the idea of a floating cottage get away and I am an avid sailor. Our requirements are it should fit in a 35' slip, be shoal draft, not require refit, be relatively easy to maintain, be easy to sail short handed or solo. Budget <$70,000. Our short list is the Catalina 320, Hunter 33 and Beneteau 323, probably built between 2000 and 2008. These 3 seem to come up for sale and are in our price range. Has anyone out there owned one of these and what would you recommend. Thanks!
....Budget....

That is the key. It is hard to make suggestions without knowing how much you are looking to spend. Of course you are aware that the purchase price is just the price of admission. Ongoing maintenance costs are a given, and the older the boat the higher those costs are likely to be.

You say are an avid sailor, are you a racer? If so I am guessing sailing performance is important? There are lots of floating "winnebagos" out there that would be easy to sail short handed, but perhaps not very satisfying for an avid sailor to sail.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome