SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a small cruiser!
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 06-08-2019
JimMcGee

Re: Buying a small cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterennis View Post
She likes the idea of a floating cottage get away and I am an avid sailor.
Rather than focusing on brand or model I'd consider three things:

Maintenance -- You're basically looking at 10 to 20 year old boats. I would be willing to pay a little more for a well maintained boat where the maintenance was done and done correctly. It will save you lots of small and maybe a few big headaches down the road.

If this is going to be a weekend home I'd give priority to comfort and storage. Our boat was our weekend home for 10+ years. Some important items for us were being able to turn out real meals in the galley, having a comfortable berth, a real TV/stereo, a cozy salon and a nook where you can get away from each other now and then to read or relax.

The head on our boat was always small for my taste (Catalina 30 MKIII), but the boat lived in a marina so we had access to showers and bathrooms in the marina.

The right boat will just feel "right". Hopefully that's the same boat for both of you. But you won't know until you're onboard.

Finding the right marina is important if this is going to be your getaway. The right marina is a community of friends that you look forward to seeing every weekend. The wrong marina crowd can kill your enjoyment of the boat.

Best of luck,
Jim

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 06-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome