SailNet Community - View Single Post - Black Sludge
Thread: Black Sludge
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-11-2019
Uncle Bob the 1st

Re: Black Sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you have black sludge in the bottom of the primary, it's most likely dead bacteria that live in diesel. Especially, if there is high moisture or water in the diesel.

I used USA Fuel Service to clean my tanks. Not sure where you are or if they have anyone close. It would appear you do need to clean your tanks. They pump out all the old fuel first, then polish it to remove impurities. Then they spray solvents into you tank through whatever access they can find. They used the fuel level sender in my case. They pump out the solvents and debris, then put the polished fuel back.
Hi i have found that the black "sludge" can sometimes be asphaltenes that appear as a sludge however when closely examined they appear as little black balls that clog the fuel system. If you can get some of the black sludge out into a small container, place some in the palm of your hand and add some metho and rub, if it dissolves into a blackish brown paste you have asphaltenes. Polishing the fuel through a 30 micron filter worked for me.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome