SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for advice
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 06-14-2019
Minnewaska

Re: looking for advice

I hate to think that draining all the water from a diesel, for the winter, is hard to do. Folks generally run anti-freeze through their engine, because there can be dips and low spots that don't drain. I was considering whether you might be seeing anti-freeze purging. I hope water didn't freeze over the winter and crack the block, which could permit oil into the exhaust.

It's a pretty dramatic situation, so I hope that's not it. If you're new to this, have you considered having a diesel mechanic take a look? As a general rule, diesels like to run and often have pretty simple problems, when they don't. Hope that's the case for you.

If the diesel is toast, it could cost more than the boat to repair. If so, I'd be inclined to start over soon, before throwing more money at it. It would unfortunately be worth less than zero, so every time you need to spend money on it (and you will), the pain will increase.

If you could provide more detail or pics, perhaps we could collectively provide more ideas to check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome