SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape May to Block Island advice needed
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 06-27-2019 Thread Starter
Davil

Re: Cape May to Block Island advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Checked my log from when I went directly from Cape May past Montauk to Fishers Island Sound. That is the same distance as going to Block Island. We motored the whole way with a crew of 3 under reasonable conditions—just not for sailing. Cape May inlet to East Harbor, Fishers Island = 36 hours at 2200rpm in our 35 ft boat. Chef’s 39 hour estimate is realistic, but we were not exactly pushing it at the end of a 1700 mile delivery trip.

The OP’s might reasonable assume a 39 hour transit on the outside in his CD 30, but I would be concerned if he is single handing and trying to stay alert for that amount of time. We did not see a lot of ship traffic, but it only takes one missed contact to end the cruise.
========================================
like to thanks for all the excellent advice, finally have to accept as "Clint Eastwood reminds us, A Man has to know his limitations"
Yes at my age and single handing seems unwise, with much regret decided to break the trip, yesterday arrived at Sandy Hook and plan to just hugh the Long Island coast to Montauk,still have to go across the bottleneck here at the entrance of NY but at least those monsters have to decrease their speed!!!
thanks all again

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome