SailNet Community - View Single Post - Depression and thermostats
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 06-29-2019 Thread Starter
hpeer

Re: Depression and thermostats

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe this problem actually started at the end of last season. Just before layup the engine showed low water flow. It found some significant debris (different from what I got out of the other line) in the t-stat housing I took out the t-stat, tested it, reinstalled and it was working fine when winterized. Actually the first few hours this year the engine ran cold, 110, which I payed off to the very low water temp, 38f.

The thought about the water chamber where the t-stat resides being empty had crossed my mind. Not sure what, if anything, to make of that. The other possible issue is a suction side air leak. That can make for sudden temp rise. But the oscillating? These Volvo’s have a really silly water connection that never inspires confidence.

I think the bottom line is I’m getting debris in the system. I can understand it in the t-stat housing, maybe, but the line from the water pump? Worse comes to worse I’ll remove the exhaust manifold and try to clean that out.

Next week.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome