SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #283 of Old 07-08-2019
travlin-easy

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, and everything goes well, I hope to stop at the local grocery store, pick up some TV dinners, some canned goods, bring some breakfast stuff from home, stock the pantry, then stop at the local liquor locker and pick up a case of bottled water, a case of beer, a couple half gallons of Jim Bean Honey Bourbon, a couple bags of ice, load it onto the boat about noon, fire up the A4, point the bow south, raise the sails and head south. I ain't dead yet, but one Hell of a lot closer than I want to be.

With luck, I should be in Mill Creek by Tuesday afternoon and meet up with my friend MarioG, who is a forum member. We will drink to old times, then on Wednesday morning, I'll head for Solomons and hook up with a charter fishing captain friend, maybe catch something for supper, and head for Point Lookout the following morning and meet with another charter fishing captain that I have known for 40 years. We hope to catch some Spanish mackerel off Smith Point, which is a 50/50 shot, depending on the weather.

Friday seems like a good day to visit with another old friend at the Oyster House Restaurant in the Rappahannock, where I hope to spend the night before heading to Chrisfield to meet with an old Maryland state trooper friend that is also a charter fishing captain - we will do something, even if it's wrong. At the very least we will drink a few beers and relive old memories when we were both wearing a badge.

If the weather permits, I hope to head south to Cape Charles and meet up with a couple old friends that are charter fishing captains there, catch some weakfish and tautog for supper, spend the night at the new marina, and maybe try some new food at the restaurant there. Cape Charles has really changed over the past 20 years since I first visited here. How I wish there were still oyster rocks to pluck those wonderful, very salty oysters from.

Depending on the weather, I just may swing over the CBBT and out into the ocean, then up the coast to Ship Shoal Inlet, spend the night with the greenies, then head for Chincoteague Inlet, spend the night, go to OC, spend another night, then to Cape Henlopin spend the night there, then ascend Delaware Bay to Reedy Island before heading through the C&D Canal and back to the marina.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll just do a 180 and head up the bay for home, which is just over 250 miles to the north. What the Hell, I'm not dead yet.

I constantly monitor channel 16 and 13 while underway so if any of you sailnetters want to raft up for a glass of Jim Bean or a Coors Light, give Saturday's Child a call.

All the best,

Gary

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome