SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean Planning
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 07-08-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Caribbean Planning

There are plenty of boats and not just ex-charter boats on the hard for sale in the Windward Islands. Boats of broken dreams I call them. Folks who planned on retiring to cruising and put a great deal of work, money and time into the dream and found they didn't like it. Most initially try to recoup their investment, which is near impossible, and put a pretty high price on the boat, but as time wears on, depending on their need for the money, they soon realize that they must take what they can get. If you can sneak in before the boat goes completely to hell from sitting too long, you can come out a winner.
As some have suggested, the BVI's are a great place to get an ex-charter boat, but what's left on the market are most probably the dregs of the Irma/Maria rebuilds. St T. might be slightly better, but just as after Katrina when there were thousands of "refurbished" autos being sold all over the US and Caribbean very inexpensively, these boats will probably become maintenance headaches in the long run.
My bet would be on Trinidad. There are two yards there filled with what seem to be deserted 'dreamboats'. Many are very well found and in pretty good shape. One I know of is Explorer in Powerboats yard; give them a call and ask.
As for sailing with cruisers, I think that's been well covered above and most likely undoable. However, if you are vacillating between a mono and a cat, I would suggest you bareboat both before you make that choice. They are world's apart and each certainly has it's good and bad points which you will not fully understand without a couple of weeks traveling aboard. And don't pussyfoot around; go out when it's snotty as hell or you won't really know what you are getting into.
Grenada has some boats, but St Martin would probably be better, though you are once again running into what's left two years after Irma/Maria, in general.
Good luck and we hope to be seeing you sailing down here pretty soon.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome